Glade, Mr Muscle and other Dubbed Adverts

Mr Muscle Advert

I need some assistance. After watching the latest Mr Muscle advert run once more, I have begun to lose faith in the British public.

I have not been able to locate the UK version, but this one fits the bill just as well:



I am not going to even begin to critically analyse this travesty, not even going to start to question the thought process that went into it, but will address the lack of respect we are being shown by all the companies involved in putting it on our screens. The fact that this is a foreign version of the advert we see on UK screens emphasises the point, going to YouTube will reveal the other nationalities it has been dubbed into, making it clear that this very brief spot has been intended to work around the globe.

S.C. Johnson, an American firm, and worth vast sums of money, own the brand Mr Muscle, as well as another offender, Glade:



Again, analysis of this spot defies logic, let alone taste, but it shows a lazy approach that has been becoming ever more prevalent, and will only get worse if we as consumers respond to it - producing one advert and then simply dubbing in languages to fit the nation. Considering they want our money, you would expect at least some interest in the individual cultures they are planning to sell to.

Perhaps a new business breaking into a multi-cultural market could be excused for such an approach, but this is a firm that has been dominating supermarket shelves for decades.

I am not proposing a mass boycott of S.C. Johnson products, but trying to engender some concern over these embarrassing advertising campaigns. Please comment on this article, and leave some suggestions of other badly dubbed adverts.

Comments

  1. This kind of thing used to drive me batty but I don't watch live TV anymore so I either fast forward through the ads or what I have downloaded has the ads removed.
    I would say with the popularity of Sky+ fewer and fewer watch the ads and those without Sky+ just flick through channels during the breaks.

    It is annoying though, I will give you that, the Balisto and Kinder ads used to really annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um i hate the one with the little boy in the toilet holding his nose when he goes to the loo,then i presume it must be an advert for toilet air freshener of some kind because he is quite excited about his toileting not smelling anymore and now he hugs his mother with real love in his eyes because life is better now.
    it is very badly over dubbed,very cheesy and over slick,lord knows where it is from looks American? Why over dub Americans? i understand them, well most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these adverts have been pretty bad for a long time for some reason. I did notice the change from skinny, Mr Bean type figure to the now Superman idea - obviously the former didnt work, so theyve gone to the other extreme. Very strange!
    I think SC Johnson, for some reason, sees this product as not worth putting time and effort into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are interesting. I hadn't seen them in the U.S. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glade touch and fresh is the worst!! and I agree that it's both annoying and lazy - it has the reverse effect on me - I wouldn't buy the product!! having said that I like Puny Mr Muscle.......

    oh and Cillit Bang (I'm BARRY SCOTT!) is the best advert ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, come over to Canada/US we have WAY worse adverts.

    Though admittedly, these weren't great anyway, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those adverts all suck and the lazy dubbing on some of them sucks even more.

    Nothing worse than a crappy advert

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I rarely watch commercials anymore b/c of the wonderful DVR, but I agree. There is no excuse for blatantly lazy advertising. I realize that everyone wants to save money by cutting their marketing budgets, but they have to give consumers a little credit. We're not stupid! I have not seen the Glade commercial, but that's pretty bad. Here's one I find worse, but at least drums up controversy- Burger King's Square Butts commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nopKDuydRo Really? That's an adult song spoofed to sell a children's meal!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the above that these ads are terrible, but also the use of bad over-dubbing is now so ubiquitous that you can imagine the director deliberately using it as a tool, to invoke a certain feel, even if that feel is generic euro-crap-product.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment