3d Printed Lamp
Italian company .exnovo are part of what is called 'The Third Industrial Revolution'. I must confess 3d printing is a process that feels more science fiction than science fact to me, a glimpse of a future that has well and truly arrived.
.exnovo are a solely 3d printing company. Even though this process sounds very mechanical and far removed from human participation, companies like .exnovo are merging craftsmanship with incredible skill and creating stand-out pieces. The process allows great flexibility, one-offs can be created and then customised.
What has caught my attention are these beautiful lamps by designer Alessandro Zambelli. I think what also feels re-assuring is that Zambelli, although using this very modern production process, is inspired by nature.
It can seem, looking out my window at the the wild sprawling greenery that mathematics has very little to do with nature, but on the contrary it does. I remember being quite excited when I was younger finding out about Fibonacci and his sequences of numbers in nature. Finding design and pattern made fern cones and sunflowers take on a whole new beauty.
Zambelli has created a very minimal form under the name Afillia which is 'leafless', though not, as Zambelli points out, lifeless. There is of course function as well as form at work here. This uniform mesh successfully diffuses light creating a glow not unlike the sun, or perhaps even a full moon.
The main 'shade' of the light is made from nylon with a base of Swiss pine, premium wood from the Adige mountains. This is hand crafted in keeping with this region's traditions, and then the lamp is finished off with green flex.
Zambelli sees his work as 'hands-on hi tech' seeing the combination of the material, craftsmanship and industrial realisation as creating a thing of substance and beauty. I'd have to agree.
See original article at Dezeen.
.exnovo are a solely 3d printing company. Even though this process sounds very mechanical and far removed from human participation, companies like .exnovo are merging craftsmanship with incredible skill and creating stand-out pieces. The process allows great flexibility, one-offs can be created and then customised.
What has caught my attention are these beautiful lamps by designer Alessandro Zambelli. I think what also feels re-assuring is that Zambelli, although using this very modern production process, is inspired by nature.
It can seem, looking out my window at the the wild sprawling greenery that mathematics has very little to do with nature, but on the contrary it does. I remember being quite excited when I was younger finding out about Fibonacci and his sequences of numbers in nature. Finding design and pattern made fern cones and sunflowers take on a whole new beauty.
Zambelli has created a very minimal form under the name Afillia which is 'leafless', though not, as Zambelli points out, lifeless. There is of course function as well as form at work here. This uniform mesh successfully diffuses light creating a glow not unlike the sun, or perhaps even a full moon.
The main 'shade' of the light is made from nylon with a base of Swiss pine, premium wood from the Adige mountains. This is hand crafted in keeping with this region's traditions, and then the lamp is finished off with green flex.
Zambelli sees his work as 'hands-on hi tech' seeing the combination of the material, craftsmanship and industrial realisation as creating a thing of substance and beauty. I'd have to agree.
See original article at Dezeen.



Comments
Post a Comment