Modern stained glass

Tom Fruin

Tom Fruin

After finding this beautiful little stained glass house on My Modern Met I just wanted to find more colourful glass. The stained glass in my local church is beautiful, rich with scarlet and blue. I wanted to showcase some modern artists who show great skill and understanding of colour and light. 

I think what I am drawn to is the deep engaging colours that become even more saturated when light shines through. Definitely other worldly. 


Christian Ryan
Helen Whittaker

Christian Ryan has a great quirky style that I think also incorporates movement and fun. Helen Whittaker is also based in the UK and I like the slightly more free elements of her work, I could imagine the stained glass windows to work as silk scarfs. 


Nicola Kantorowicz
Annie Rie
I particularly like Nicola Kantorowicz Poppy Seeds, I think it is the scratchy nature, the mark making and use of dark and light. The little panels by Annie Rie are glorious, beautifully patterned with lovely tones.  


Olson Kundig architects
Olafur Elisson
Less about the illustration and more about the coloured light is the stunning glazed architecture of Gesthemane Lutheran church in Seattle by Olson Kundig architects. As the light streams in the impression of a rainbow is created, definitely elevating the soul. The purple jagged tunnel by Olafur Elisson is like entering a precious gem.  


Arno Coenen and Atelier Schmit



Whether its the traditional church window that brings light into the darkness or a smile and a nod to life in general, like the stained glass test card by Arno Coenen and Atelier Schmit, stained glass is an inviting medium. It just draws me in and invites me to stay.

Comments