Jess Allen Paintings Give Appreciation to the Mundane and Overlooked

Jess Allen artist

Jess Allen artworks

Jess Allen Cornish based artist

Absorbing myself in the world of internet publications, it was lovely when reading posts on Berlin-based website Ignant to find an artist in Cornwall I hadn't heard of. I am sure there are many I don't yet know, but finding an artist from my neck of the woods just makes me feel instantly intrigued by their work. Jess Allen, originally from Dorset, is married to sculptor Simon Allen and lives on the moorland near St Ives, the Cornish town famed for its wonderful light. 

Figures shadowed on the wall with books

Train seats painted by Jess Allen

A couple who's shadows are on the wall

Light is important to Allen, her paintings return to the theme of shadows, impressions and moments that are so evocative and familiar they draw us in. Her subjects are minimal, inconsequential even, but beautiful. An open book left on the side, an embrace played out on the living room wall in shadow form or perhaps stacks of cardboard boxes, piled in such a way we stand and stare where naturally we would pay no heed. 

Jess Allen art

Paintings of books

Painting of an open book

It is the peace also I feel enriched by, Jess says of her work "I have become increasingly interested in the way certain objects and subjects can, and do suggest meaning beyond their immediate physical appearance" and in her Ignant interview she goes on to say "shadows interest me immensely because they are silent and ephemeral. “They are evocative, and like memories, they are a bit hazy. In a way, they are a minimal representation of our physical selves."

Shadows of a couple against a wall

Shadows on the wall

Figure of a women in shadow

I also like seeing all the rich colours of light and shade she brings out in her work, I find myself scanning my room and seeing renewed beauty in the folds of my curtains or where the shelf meets the wall and enjoying all the hues it casts.

Open book with light reflected on it

Jess Allen artist in front of her works

Comments