The Colour Blocking of Imi Knoebel

I love colour. That's an understatement. I am really drawn to surprising combinations, delicate hues rubbing shoulders with emboldened primaries. In art especially these are the pieces I tend to gravitate towards, whether they are portraits or landscapes, literal or impressions. Today I thought we could indulge a little in some abstraction with the work of Imi Knoebel. 

Knoebel is German, born in 1940, he creates abstract paintings and sculptures that speak to modernist ideas and the Bauhaus movement. His work has been displayed all over the world and are sought after at auctions. Here a few pieces I particularly love. 

Colourful abstract art by Imi Knoebel
Imi Knoebel, Anima Mundi 58-4 ED, 2012

Imi Knoebel abstract paintings in contrasting greens
Imi Knoebel, Anima Mundi 12-3 ED, 2010/2016

Pepermint and orange abstract art
Imi Knoebel, Face 43, 2003

Colouriful primary colour abstract painting by Imi Knoebel
Imi Knoebel, Fishing Yellow II E, 2007/09

Pale peach abstract art
Imi Knoebel, Anima Mundi 2019-4 ED, 2018/2021

Red abstract painting
Imi Knoebel, Anima Mundi 2020-15 ED. 1, 2020/21

Series of colourful abstract works by Imi Knoebel
Imi Knoebel, Anima Mundi 31-5, 2023

Imi Knoebel sries of 3 green abstracts
Imi Knoebel, Anima Mundi 91-3, 2010

Series of colourful abstracts by Imi Knoebel
Imi Knoebel, Anima Mundi 16-5, 2020

Sittin' in the evening sun III by Imi Knoebel
Imi Knoebel, Sittin' in the Evening Sun III, 1994


Originally found at Artsy.

Comments