Touch Screen Phone Marketing

iphone
I have finally decided I can wait no longer and am going for a new phone. I have been waiting in the vain hope that Apple iphones will come down to a more realistic price, but now a mobile device with good quality internet access has become a necessity, not a luxury, forcing my hand.

The technology in the iphone is very attractive, but cost has always been an issue, prompting me to examine different options. The souped-up standard mobiles initially looked a possible alternative, and as I already had a Samsung I took a look at the Samsung Soul. I also speculated that a Blackberry may supply the functionality that I needed, if not the brand name. The Storm jumped out as an option.

But in the end, as a designer, I could not seperate the products from their marketing. The Samsung Soul for instance has been given a very feeble advertising campaign that absolutely baffled me as to the item itself. Take a look at the following spot:



This was an advert designed for a pan European appeal, and composed of very gaudy palette. The soundtrack seems very out of place, not gelling with the two very generic European actors, overacting in the way that only people in adverts can. The script even appears to have been poorly translated, or at least ill advised, and the sensation of a poor-man's-iphone is complete with dated CGI, and then realisation that the "magic touch" is only possible from a small panel, with limited controls.

So, onto the more plausible alternative to Apple; Blackberry:



A lot more work has been put into this spot, and at least some market research. But once again we are given an advert that is intended to work across several countries; a disappointing economising. There are strong lifestyle conceits in this advert, as we are presented with an exclusive party and well dressed twenty-somethings. But our focus is on the young - obviously successful - man, with people contacting him via his phone, even more important than the celebrities-in-waiting around him. He walks away to use his Blackberry, and then, to emphasise the touch screen, he interacts with the world outside the room by touching the window (possibly leaving grease marks; we are not informed).

Apart from the impression that his "great power" is limited to turning on and off lights, the spot does not tell us much about the product itself. It is far too busy using a stock, inoffensive, indie guitar track, and placing the phone in amongst attractive surroundings for their key demographic.

How does Apple fare? Here is just one of the adverts they have used:



What more do I need to say? They let the product speak for itself, placing it in a Marks and Spencer style setting, using sumptuous close-ups and well scripted dialogue. The tag line used in some instances (not here) of, "you'll wonder how you lived without it" is well thought out and accurate. My life changed after being given my first ipod (albeit in minor, music related, ways, but music is a big part of my life, and now the ipod contains photos of my baby boy as well!), so the addition of an iphone to ones possessions I would expect to make a fair impact on communication and media use.

There has also been consideration to the multiple markets that the iphone addresses, ranging from internet use, music, photos, and now the expanding gaming applications. The simple, understated soundtrack is used throughout the campaign and has become recognisable. Leaving an advert that does not take up too much of your time, but leaves a lasting impression.

I have not even mentioned the simplicity and practicality in its design, its "must have" marketing appeal, or its compatibility with my Mac at work. My only disappointment is that if I want white, the price goes up!

Comments