Art and the Environment
Looking at one of the blogs I follow, Design Vagabond, I came across Scottish landscape artist Patricia Leighton. I am always drawn to nature and when it is distorted or added to I feel it captures my attention even more.
Patricia Leighton grew up in Scotland and studied at the Edinburgh College of Art. Scotland itself has such captivating landscapes its no wonder why Leighton was drawn to this medium as an artist. She usually works in the open, intervening directly with the landscape, and as her website puts it 'carving out of the ground, and sculpting with earth'.
![]() |
| Viewed from the sky, light and shadow play a major role |
![]() |
| Her drawings communicate the scale and texture she creates |
![]() |
| I find her models have a beauty all of their own |
She is influenced by the context and history of the landscape and this helps her decide on the materials she uses.
Leighton has been making art in the public realm for over 25 years, creating large-scale permanent commissions worldwide. Many of her pieces are beside motorways and work on a number of levels, enabling a wide public to relate to the work. To quote her website 'The earthworks and the freestanding sculptures reflect the historical and environmental specificity of their setting. Whether seen quickly from a vehicle, or pondered at length, the works captivate their audience and instill contemplation.'
The child in me wants to run up and climb them! To see more from Patricia Leighton do check out her website.




Comments
Post a Comment