Open Source Embroidery

Html Patchwork

I was intrigued today when I came across Open Source Embroidery, merging computer code and traditional craft. The emphasis, with all open source coding, is the collaboration. Many people are involved and this actually encourages change and growth as a result.

Web safe colour codes

This largely British movement believes that the coming together of lots of little pieces of artwork creates something greater than the sum of its parts. Its also interesting taking needlework that is traditionally thought as woman's work and computer programming which has a very male stereotype, and merging the two.


The movement was initiated by Ele Carpenter in 2005 to explore the relationship between programming for embroidery and for computing. Social and digital networks are key, its about coming together and exploring ideas and revealing processes - a collaboration rather than individual endeavour. 

Motherboard by Emma Ferguson 

I find the whole idea really interesting, if a little confusing! I love that in my job I can merge may passion for the hand made, drawing and type, with the modern world and all its speed and convenience. I once saw computers as a necessary evil, if I could have sat all day with a pen then I would have! But through being a graphic designer I now embrace the technological side of my job, as it takes my hand designs and takes them further. 

This process of merging the two worlds I very much like, even if programming is still a bit of a foreign language to me, the end result is beautiful.

Find out more: Open Source Embroidery, Ele Carpenter, http.  

Comments