Hollis Brown Thornton's marker pen art


I love a flash back. Recently my younger sister was clearing out our home recorded videos, it was a shame as there was no where for them to go. She checked online about ways to recycle and there really weren't any local options. She called her old art college but they had no use for these relics. 



Artist Hollis Brown Thornton, has captured an aspect of our culture that is fast becoming a fuzzy memory. I am very much of the video generation, our living room shelves were crammed with episodes of Friends, the Star Wars movies (the good ones of course) and countless cartoons. All with titles scribbled out and re-written in mine and my siblings incomprehensible scrawl. Floppy discs and cassette tapes were also part of my everyday life. 



What I love about Thornton is how he uses marker pens in a scribbly but very realistic way capturing the beautiful graphics which are now obsolete. The stacked videos create a kind of pattern. Of course capturing a rapidly changing culture is far from new, you can buy cassette tape framed prints, retro wallpaper, bags, t-shirts and accessories. I like how Thornton elevates pieces of domestic history into art, accessible art that brings a smile. A colourful and blocky world where media was chunky and didn't slip out of your hand or easily scratch.   



See more of Thornton's work.

Comments