The Crafting Revolution, Life 1966
I came across these beautiful pictures at Miss Moss, a South African blogger I like. The photographs are taken from a 1966 issue of Life magazine and she makes reference to how well this ethos fits the current design craze. It is inevitable really, when the creative world starts leaning in a particular direction there is always a counter response.
When you think 1960s, especially in swinging London, you think disposable fashion, new plastics, new technology, the space age and futuristic living. This article, with gorgeous photographs from Nina Leen, focusses on the craft movement and its ethos of looking backwards, slowing down and taking time.
When I was at university studying Graphic Design the mood was very computer driven. Adobe Illustrator was the program of choice. I use it a lot in my work and I think it is a great tool, but at the time quite a few of my classmate's work had a similar flat feel that didn't really appeal to me. Perfectly rendered in crisp sharp colours. I liked layers, I liked texture, I liked process - I liked human error, or 'happy accidents'. One of the reasons I chose Graphic Design as my discipline in the first place was because I could incorporate all my loves. Photography, illustration, textiles, fashion, architecture, words - it all feeds in.
I had a Mac computer but I didn't have all the design programs, so my work always started with a pen and had a distinctly hand-made feel. At the time I remember hoping I could be a graphic designer and not even use a computer!
Now I love working with my computer, but as ever it is a tool. I still draw on the wealth of creative knowledge available, still start with my fine liner and still value the hand-made.
What I love about these photographs is that the crafting spills into all elements of life. It is work, it is physical and it is rewarding. I often have to create quickly, deadlines loom and there isn't often time to revel in the process. These lovely photographs make me pause, take time and think.

















Comments
Post a Comment