From the Studio - Our 2019 Calendar

Hand illustrated poster calendar of vintage packaging by Cornish design studio Pickle Design


Finally back into the flow of work! The new year has proved to be a busy one, all good things though so that's great. I thought I might show you our latest calendar from the Pickle Design studio. Every year as a thank you to our clients and an introduction for new ones we send out a calendar. The last few years we have settle on an A2 poster picking a different theme and unpacking it in our newsletter each month. 

For 2019 we delved back into packaging's past and hand-illustrated some British cupboard classics in our own quirky style. Often I use the computer to create vector illustrations, like our Great British Trees poster and our Chairs calendar previously. This year though I picked up my pen and started scribbling. 

Hand illustrated vintage Lyle's Golden Syrup tin form the Pickle Design 2019 cupboard classics calendar


Packaging is always a fascination for a graphic designer, and we were interested in the origins, the way they began. We have included the likes of Lyle's golden syrup, holding the world record for the oldest unchanged packaging, and Twinings tea who have the oldest logo. There are family favourites like Cadbury's Dairy Milk and the divisive Marmite!

Each month we unpack the stories behind the design in our newsletter, and this year I plan to illustrate a modern version to compare. 

I just love the riot of colour from products we might overlook as we use them day to day. You can see our past calendar designs here if you fancy taking a look.

Comments