A Beautiful Bothy on the Isle of Mull

Bothy renovation of Isle of Mull

Renovated Bothy in Scotland

Clever hidden kitchen in cottage renovation

Such a sympathetic and warming renovation I stumbled upon today, I wanted to share it with you. Peter and Rachel Harford-Cross, architects from Glasgow, decided it was time to renovate a prized family abode. This fisherman's cottage once belonged to Peter's grandmother and now passing to his parents, he wanted to carefully introduce some creature comforts without compromising the integrity of this remote island shelter.  

Renovated fisherman's cottage on Isle of Mull

Honey varnished plywood updated traditional bothy

The small space has been thoughtfully restored using, where possible, reclaimed items that totally feel at home in a traditional Scottish bothy. 

What I particularly like is the clever hide away kitchen, the downstairs is all open plan but having the smooth honey plywood conceal the little kitchenette allows the lounge to feel calmer, tidying any mess away. All the cooking and heating comes from one little stove, a lovely focal point for the room. 

White painted stone walls and cosy fireplace

Fisherman's cottage renovation

The main bedroom has a hidden rail so a curtain can sweep it away for privacy. Up a restored wooden ladder reveals the tiny beds for kids under the eves. Like camping out but much more cosy compared to being out in the highlands winds! 

Charming children's room

Simple bathroom with plywood walls

A lovely space that I am sure will serve this family for generations to come. Originally found at Remodalista

Comments