Orange "I am who I am because of everyone" Campaign


First post on my new blog, might as well start with a moan! I have a feeling that most of my thoughts on design will be a rant...

Anyone who knows me will probably be aware that I am not a fan of Orange's television advertising campaigns, so this will hardly be a surprise, but I just cannot let my thoughts on their latest be left in my head - I fear for my already feeble grip on reality.

The title is so pretentious for a start, "I am who I am because of everyone"? My word, that is so trite. The implications from their latest advert - the one I have included a screen shot from, where a cartoon-ish ball of activity sweeps through an inner city estate tidying things up, and leaving some very media friendly graffiti in its wake - are certainly admirable, giving something back to the environment we live in, but just so far removed from real life it's embarrassing.

There does seem to be some effort to move away from the preened models that have been used for the last few years, but still we are left with the feel of a committee driven, help the community, advert. Despite the high production values, it still looks like it was dreamt up in the eighties, especially the terrible soundtrack. Then at the end we are presented with testimonials.

What I want to know is, who is drawn to an advert like this? Are there people out there that buy into this "concerned about people" approach? We are meant to ignore the fact that this is a large multi-national company, and believe that deep down, all they do is for us, the little people...

Maybe I am doing them an injustice, but the impression this campaign gives to me is that they have failed to connect with the people they are claiming to care about, and that implies a lack of care.

Comments