Annie Vought - Paper Cut

paper cut typography

Black negative space with paper cutting

Typography paper cutting

Black paper cutting words

 I am so impressed with paper cutting, something I would in no way be able to do! The delicate sheets remind me of intricate lace. My sister and I recently went to a National Trust house in Cornwall, where we live, called Trerice and there we saw a demonstration of Black Work and lace making. Seeing the patterns formed before our eyes was mesmerising. 

lace-like paper cutting

Geometric paper cutting art

I am equally drawn to the work of Annie Vought. She tackles great big black pieces of paper and snips away to reveal typography, patterns, windows even - with striking success. 
Intricate pattern hand-cut

I especially like the typography. When I was at art college in Falmouth I did a project based on eavesdropping, winding bits of conversation caught on my walk to Tescos. Fragments of type can be so beautifully woven into art. Vought though seeks to convey the art of communication, she said in an interview with In The Make

"I would really like to shine a spotlight on all the billions of different ways we communicate with each other— the very subtle and the not so subtle. Also how we reveal ourselves intentionally and unintentionally, and what we keep entirely to ourselves".

Artist at home photographed by In The Make

You can see more of Annie Vought's work here at her website, I spotted her at The Jealous Curator.  


Comments