Kirkby Design’s Aloe Vera Fabric
The textile industry is changing, and it is exciting to see the new material innovations appearing. I have quite a few pieces made from bamboo in my wardrobe – I love the softness – and the latest material to catch my eye is even more unexpected: aloe vera.
That much-loved natural soother is better known in our house as the plant we use for burns and homemade moisturiser, but Kirkby Design has taken it somewhere rather different. Aloe is a washable, wide-width sheer made from 60% aloe vera and 40% organic cotton. Soft, fluid and rather beautiful.
The thinking behind it is clever too. Kirkby Design says the aloe vera used for the fabric grows without chemicals or fertilisers and does not require watering, while the organic cotton is grown without pesticides or fertilisers. The finished textile is light and sheer, allowing daylight to filter softly through it.
I also like that all the environmental thinking hasn't compromised how it looks. The palette moves from calm neutrals into Acid Yellow, Cobalt Blue and Olive, and the sheer quality lets the colours shift gently as light passes through. It looks properly luxurious.
I originally spotted Aloe on Dezeen.
Comments
Post a Comment