A Retronaut Time Capsule
This morning I have been perusing the carefully selected photographs at Retronaut. There is something about old pictures that just draws me in. Perhaps its a photo of a beautiful girl, like a 10 year old Greta Garbo before we know her as a screen sensation. Or a moment that just makes you laugh, like an escaping cat.
Perhaps my fascination with black and white photography has something to do with how precious those moments are. I mean today with my digital camera I can take 20 pictures of the same thing and I know the likelihood of one being usable is quite good. Where as with SLR and other old forms of capturing images it was so much more up to skill or perhaps even chance - so many elements having to work together, making these images a real time capsule.
These are a selection of photographs that have caught my eye and made me smile. Do let me know what you think.
![]() |
| An escaping cat! From the 1940s |
![]() |
| Greta Garbo aged 10 |
Perhaps my fascination with black and white photography has something to do with how precious those moments are. I mean today with my digital camera I can take 20 pictures of the same thing and I know the likelihood of one being usable is quite good. Where as with SLR and other old forms of capturing images it was so much more up to skill or perhaps even chance - so many elements having to work together, making these images a real time capsule.
![]() |
| 1886 Leaping the chasm at Stand Rock |
![]() |
| Girls having fun in the 1920s |
These are a selection of photographs that have caught my eye and made me smile. Do let me know what you think.
![]() |
| Winston Churchill with Coco Chanel 1940s |
![]() |
| Dinosaurs on the Hudson river being transported to the New York World's Fair 1964. |
![]() |
| David Bowie in the Scouts c. 1959 |







Comments
Post a Comment