Skip to main content
Justine Ashbee
So I have come across the work of artist Justine Ashbee. I had seen her pen drawings all over the internet, but I only recently found her textiles - and they are really beautiful.
The pen and ink drawings are amazing in detail, I prefer the black and white ones. Swirling and contracting into hanging forms, like something organic. Though the stark style and quite perfect form makes me think more other world than natural.
 |
| Aubrey Beardsley |
Some of her monochrome works remind me of Aubrey Beardsley, who again creates a plumpness and suspension in what with his illustrations.
Ashbee's pen drawings are all done by hand. She says "I begin with a curve, from which lines and forms begin to emerge, evolve, morph, and grow organically, in an intuitive flow, while maintaining delicate, elegant precision."
 |
| Aubrey Beardsley |
I have always been interested by line and form. I remember distinctly when I was doing my Art Foundation course, my art teacher was very interested in a smudge on my paper - rather than my still life I had just drawn! I understand her desire to leave a mark. Even though I am a graphic designer, so mainly working in the digital world, I do as often as I can start by hand. With pen and pencil.
The woven works of Ashbee are perhaps not such a departure. You can still see her interest in line, using the thread to form angular or more fluid shapes. The colours have quite a 70s feel. You can see where she takes her inspiration from native arts. She creates timeless motifs of indigenous woven craft work, combining geometric lines with shimmering metals.
I found her textiles at Miss Moss
Comments
Post a Comment