Courtesy of my wonderful sister I came across a beautiful garment of perfect execution this morning. The piece looked like something our glamorous red-headed Nan would have worn. Curious to find out more I looked into the fashion house, Myrbor.
Maison Myrbor spanned the short but influential Art Deco period in history, and burned brightly in the fashion world. Started in Paris by Marie Cuttoli (the name taken from her maiden name), the Italian wife of a French ambassador. The fashion house run from 1922-1936 creating abstract pieces of Cubist and Fututrist inspiration, in fact Picasso and Matisse were friends of Cuttoli and created pieces for her interiors.
Her roots were in Algeria, were she worked with local people to create beautiful carpets and textiles. For her couture she employed prominent European and Russian artists, namely Leon Baket, Natalia Goncharova and Sarah Lipska of Polish origins.
Lipska's work uses appliqué for that classic 1920s aesthetic. I also really appreciate the colours she uses. The garments remain feminine but also powerful and striking.
Not many examples of this fashion house remain, but their legacy is an important one.
Great Blog, thank you.
ReplyDelete